Sunday, January 16, 2011

Microwave Coconut Mochi

Mochi, a traditional Japanese dessert, is a rice treat I have enjoyed since childhood.  The traditional method of making mochi can be tedious, but nowadays there are other options such as baked, steamed, or microwaveable mochi.

Tonight, I made Coconut Mochi using my Hawaii's Best Mochi Recipes by Jean Watanabe Hee.  By far, this is one of the easiest recipes for mochi, while it is also tasty, especially when eaten warm.  For those of you who want a quick, coconut mochi treat, I would highly recommend this recipe. 



Coconut Mochi

2 Cups Mochiko Flour
1 Can Coconut Milk (13.5-oz)
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
Katakuriko (Potato Starch) for sprinkling



So how do you make Coconut Mochi? Easy!

1. Mix all the ingredients together, except for the katakuriko (potato starch).  Stir until smooth.



2. Pour mixture into a greased, glass dish.  I used butter to grease the dish and an 8x8 glass dish.



3. Microwave on medium-high for 10 minutes.  I used 70% to bake my mochi and it turned out great.

4. Let it sit for a few minutes in the glass dish.  Then, dust cutting board with katakuriko. 

5. Place mochi on cutting board with katakurko.  Lightly dust all over mochi.

6. Cut into pieces.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I never realized it was so easy! I'll have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eleni! Yes, you will have to try it. It was sooooo easy. If you want a quick, sweet treat, you could finish this one in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look so wonderful! I will have to try to make it...or just go to Asian grocery store to buy some. Lazy me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this following the directions exactly. The middle of the finished product came out a different consistency, almost gooy cakey. But the rest of it was perfect!
    Any suggestions on how to correct for this? Adjust cooking time &/or power? Adjust ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Hmm... if you have a microwave that doesn't have a rotating dish inside, this could be one reason for the uneven consistency. Also, some people prefer to use saran wrap during cooking for a better result. I'll have to try this out again on my new microwave to see if I get a different result.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails